Tuesday 7 February 2012

Spinach, Feta and Pepperoni Pizza

I cracked it!



I love Spinach and Feta. Yum yum yum... but on it's own (well, with some onion and garlic), on top of a pizza, it felt a bit... bland. I know this is a combination that works, because I've had it before, but for me, my homemade version was missing something.

So this time I added some pepperoni. Problem solved! (Except I now have to eat pepperoni sandwiches for the next week, but I don't consider that a big hardship...) It just breaks up the spinach-y flavour a bit. Since leaving my vegetarian ways behind me this summer, I do now put too much meat into things, I think. But here, it helps, it really does.

I've also been experimenting with a new way of cooking onions amalgamated from various readings (see in the recipe for details). Whether it actually makes any difference is debatable, but it takes about the same time and tastes nice. So that works for me.


"Pepperoni makes everything better" pizza (with feta and spinach too, but who cares about them?)


For another one of my topping experiments, go here.


1 Garlic Pizza Bread
Pepperoni
100g feta
150g spinach

1 onion
1 clove garlic


1. Chop the onion and put it in a frying pan with a little oil and some garlic. Fry for about 5 minutes. Then this is what I did - I filled the pan with about an inch of water, and turned it up to max while they simmered, added a bit of sugar, some salt and some pepper, and left it, stirring occasionally, until it boiled dry.
2. Then I chucked in the spinach and stir-fried until it wilted.
3. Pop this mixture on top of your pizza
4. Top with the feta
5. Top that with the pepperoni
6. Pop it in the oven for as long as your garlic bread suggests

p.s. Mine falls apart a lot. It tastes great, but not ideal for eating with your hands (though I did anyway cos I wanted to save on washing up). If anyone can think of a way of preventing this, I'd love to hear it... (and don't say less topping, 90% of it is spinach and onion, I'm on an iron drive...)

No comments:

Post a Comment