Friday 24 February 2012

Overnight waffles - putting yeast genetics into practice



If you've been to Oxford, you might have been to G&D's, the ice cream cafe that's open until midnight every night. If you're an Oxford student, you've almost CERTAINLY been there (especially if you're a non-clubber like me). I became well acquainted with it last year when I gained a loyalty card with lots of interesting offers in Fresher's week, that culminated in a free sundae. I did mean to take a photo of that but Mum and I actually only remembered after we'd eaten it, so somewhere I have a photo of an empty plate and two spoons.

But enough of that. My point is that they do waffles.

Their waffle machine is frequently broken, often for weeks at a time. But I keep going back again and again and again. I have been known to walk miles out of my way on my waffle quest, simply because it is worth it.

But I started wanting my own waffles. So I ended up on gumtree, and then discovered that of the 3 waffle irons in the country, one was 2 miles down the road from where my boyfriend lives, and it was ancient but was only six quid. That's worth it in my books.

So I've been enviously hearing his tales of waffle batter antics from hundreds of miles away, trying yeasted waffles, non-yeasted waffles, waffles with maple syrup and so many other nuances. So when he visited me at uni this week I stipulated that the waffle iron should join him.


The fire alarms in my building are ridiculously sensitive, hence our elaborate filtering mechanism using my ancient sash windows, curtains and the extension lead from my computer (so I can't use both at once... which is my stronger desire?)


My boyfriend is the waffle king at the moment. But I get to make the next one.


Maple syrup is his standard topping, and he insisted on buying ice cream. We bought a 2 litre tub and only used about 3 scoops... oops. I hate not having a freezer but I blame Tesco for not selling anything smaller. 

They're good. They really are. We used the recipe from La Cerise, but we're trying a baking powder one tomorrow because the yeast was a bit overpowering, though I quite liked it. My room smells of beer now.

It might have been because we left it in front of the radiator overnight... but after learning about yeast for the past 2 terms and cloning yeast in practicals it was nice to see a real-world application...


I like chocolate sauce and nuts, personally. That's just the way I roll.

I don't mean I roll in chocolate and nuts. That would be weird. 


So there you have our first attempts at waffles. They won't be our last.

No comments:

Post a Comment