Wednesday 22 February 2012

Solo Pancakes


That could be a sad title. Oh well. I'm contented in my occasional one-ness but for some recipes, it can be a right pain. It was Shrove Tuesday yesterday and I loves me some pancakes... but pancake recipes tend to contain one egg and make about 10 pancakes, which is a fat lot of good if there's one of you. Lots of people in my year here at uni overcame this issue by holding pancake parties, or cooking pancakes as a floor. I didn't. I set out to find a recipe that would scale down well (aren't I antisocial sometimes...).

But I'm happy to say that I succeeded!


It might still be too many for dessert, I'll admit, but I had them for lunch and it was the perfect amount.

Solo Pancakes

Adapted from 'Basic crepes recipe' by JENNYC819 here. I used a bizzare mixture of metric and imperial mixtures (metric for liquid and imperial for everything else) and that you shouldn't strictly do that (at least not when baking) but it was the easiest way I found to measure it. I've since added an alternative recipe at the bottom that made 3 pancakes comfortably.

2oz (60g) flour
1 egg
60ml milk
60ml water
1/4 teaspoon salt
0.5oz (15g) butter, melted


Makes 3 thickish or 4 thin pancakes in a 9ish inch frying pan.

1. Mix the flour (no need to sift unless especially lumpy, you don't need air) and egg.
2. Gradually add in the milk and water.
3. Add in the salt and melted butter, and beat until smooth.

No, that's not noise, that's the melted Stork margarine refusing to mix in properly. Bit predictable. Still, tasted fine. Just give it a good whisk before you put each batch in the pan.


CALORIES = 420 per batch


Tips for cooking:



  • Make sure your pan is really hot.
  • I swear by Fry Light. Easier and healthier than buttering or oiling the pan.
  • Re-oil the pan between every pancake.

  • Learn to flip pancakes well because it impresses people. If you undercook one side, no biggie, leave the side you just flipped to to cook for a while, then flip back over.
  • They keep warm in an oven on 100oc just fine until you've cooked them all and are ready to eat.
Toppings

These worked better with nutella than with lemon and sugar, but I think that's because I tried to cheat and use low cal granulated sweetener and a jif lemon. Go for the real things, people.

Nutella is nom.

Wrap it up goooood.
So Happy Belated Shrove Tuesday, people. I'm giving up nothing for Lent cos I'm happy with everything the way it is right now. The only thing I'd give up is worrying and then I'd worry that I wasn't giving it up well enough, and then I would be trapped in a paradox and..... *pop*

Just enjoy your darn pancakes.


Alternative mix

Makes 3 pancakes. Nice and easy to remember too!

50g flour
1 egg
50ml milk
50ml water
10g butter or margarine
1/8 tsp salt

No comments:

Post a Comment