Thursday 2 February 2012

Battle of the biscuit cakes...

I like biscuit cake. It's one of those comforting things I remember Mum making quite a lot when I was younger, half with dark chocolate melted over the top, and half without because my brother was such a fussy moo :P

So the other day I decided I needed a nice simple midweek cake after a batch of banana blondies that didn't quite go to plan (don't ask). But, being on another of my weight loss drives, I didn't really get around to it.

Then today I got some bad news and, after crying for a few hours, I decided to make the cake because I had all the ingredients sitting there and I thought it would be something nice and easy.

Um. Yeah.

A little more back story is needed. I got Mum to send me the recipe she used but it calls for golden syrup, and in my student kitchen I'm just trying to keep ingredients to a minimum now. So I went and found a new recipe that called for a tin of condensed milk instead, and other than that, just chocolate and biscuits.

However, it told you to mix it all in the pan. This is where everything started to go wrong.

First of all I poured the chocolate into my springform, looked at it and thought "no, way too thin", so immediately scraped it out of my 9 inch springform and into my 7 inch sandwich tin. At this point I added about 13 broken biscuits (the recipe called for 18, and I broke 15 but just couldn't fit any more in). That sort of went okay.

Then the REAL fun began. I had to add the tin of condensed milk to my already fairly full pan, and mix it in. Suffice to say, this was a disaster. It was impossible to mix into the already thick mixture. The recipe warned you didn't have much time, so I quickly dumped it into my big bowl, mixed the quickly setting mixture so hard that I nearly became Uri Gellar's biggest rival (and vented a lot of my anger in the process), then dumped it all, fairly mixed, back into the tin and smoothed it down. Yeesh.

When I finally got it out of the tin (note to self - hairdrying it, as suggested, really does work!) there was a slight sheen of unmixed condensed milk, but it tasted sooooooo good I didn't care. If I mixed this all in a bowl next time... well, I think it might have won the battle of the biscuit cake. It's moreish, crumbly and oh-so-tasty... But I'll post both recipes and let you decide, bakers ;)

The New Recipe


Slightly modified from the recipe at "Cake in the Country"

300g plain chocolate (doesn't have to be super high quality, supermarkets own will do comfortably)
About 12-15 digestive biscuits
1 400g tin of condensed milk

If you want, put some clingfilm into the pan, it will make your life easier later. I have no clingfilm. I am a student. I used a 7 inch sandwich tin, but the original recipe doesn't specify a size.

1. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, then pour into a larger bowl
2. Add the broken biscuits and stir until they are all coated in chocolate.
3. MOVE FAST. Add the condensed milk and IT WILL START TO SET QUICKLY. Stir as well as you can and then get it in to the pan . Press down well until fairly flat and even.
4. Set in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours.
5. If you didn't put clingfilm in, attack the bottom with a hairdryer until it gets let out. This may melt the top slightly if you overdo it (I did) and you will have to re-refrigerate it.

It's not the most beautiful and stylish cake ever but goddamn it tastes good :D



Recipe 2


An old staple from an 80's Sainsbury's cookbook. Also a very good option.


125g (4oz) margarine
50g (2oz) caster sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tablespoons milk
2 tbsp drinking chocolate and 1 tbsp cocoa (I just tend to use all cocoa, maybe a little less)
250g (8oz) digestive biscuits
50g (2oz) cake crumbs (I have never put these in)
50g (2oz) glace cherries, chopped (or these, though I'd like to)
50g (2oz) raisins (these sometimes went in)


1. Place the margarine, sugar, syrup and milk into a pan and heat gently
2. Add the drinking chocolate/cocoa and half the biscuits and mix well
3. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed
4. Press into a 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tin
5. Chill in the refrigerator until set, then remove from the tin

I think Mum always used to just put melted dark chocolate on top, but the recipe suggests a chocolate icing:

125g (4oz) plain chocolate
15g (1/2oz) butter


1. Melt the chocolate and butter in a small bowl over a pan of hot water and mix well.
2. Spread over the biscuit mixture and allow to set, then cut into wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment