Tuesday 7 February 2012

Someone's Apple (or pear, or apricot) cake

Whose recipe is this? It's a mystery!



I had pears last week. I scoured the internet for hours trying to find a simple pear cake with simple ingredients.

After all that, when the pears were all eaten, Mum sent me this recipe, that could have had pears in. Ho hum. I think I probably prefer it with apples in anyway ;)

Lovely warm, not too calorific, quick to make (the longest part is dicing the apples) and easy to leave for an hour to cook. It's very forgiving if you keep opening the oven door to check it's not overflowing... after the marble cake debacle in my very first post, I have viewed my 7 inch sandwich tin with suspicion, but it said 7 inch in this recipe, and it looked very full, but it's not really designed to rise and it really is just perfect, even if the tin is very shallow like mine (so that baking tray underneath to catch spillages was completely unnecessary).

Make this if you need warming up :)

UPDATE: This seems to go very stale very quickly, not sure why. I'd definitely recommend an airtight container... then again, popping it in the microwave for 20 or 30 seconds works pretty well too!


"Someone my Mum used to know from work's apple cake that always got requested"
a.k.a. Apple or Pear cake...mmm...cake...

8oz Self raising flour
4oz Margarine
4oz Soft brown sugar-light or dark
8oz diced apple-eating or cooking or pears or apricots
1 egg
1 tsp cinnamon

1. Rub margarine into flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
2. Mix in sugar.
3. Sprinkle spice on diced fruit then mix in.
4. Add the egg. The mixture should then be a slow dropping consistency.(spoon tapped on side of bowl)
5. Spoon into loaf or 7" round tin.
6. Sprinkle on demerera sugar for a crunchy top. (I forgot to do this, doh)
7. Cook on 190c for an hour.
8. Enjoy eating it...

No comments:

Post a Comment