Thursday 9 February 2012

Spinach and Feta Frittata


I've had a lifelong semi-dislike of omelettes. I don't quite know what it is, I think the egginess overwhelms me after a while. This situation wasn't helped by being asked, in a university interview, how many people you could feed with an omelette made out of an ostrich egg. I didn't have the faintest idea, not knowing how many people you would feed with a normal one, and since then I've liked omelettes even less. My Nan occasionally makes a Spanish omelette, which I quite like, but I don't count that...

But, due to some unforseen dental work, my plan to make spinach and feta macaroni cheese again didn't quite materialise and I suddenly found myself with only 1 dinner before I make a visit home for the weekend, and half a block of feta and half a bag of spinach to use up.

After some feverish reworking of my macaroni cheese recipe to try and fit it all in I concluded that it probably wouldn't work all that well. But I needed to use it up.

Here, my friend over at lovefoodthinkcook came to my rescue, extolling the virtues of frittatas. I got to wondering... would spinach and feta work? Also, would I like it?

I actually spent all of today and a good chunk of last night really looking forward to cooking my first frittata/omeletty-thing, which is possibly a little bit sad but hey-ho, I enjoy my cooking a lot now. I most certainly wasn't disappointed! I wolfed it down and have half left for a late lunch tomorrow, and I think this is one of those staple recipes that I will be going back to again and again, especially for using up leftover ingredients. It's a good thing free-range eggs are crazily cheap here in Oxford!



"Oh no, everything needs to be used up!" Spinach and Feta Frittata


My friend over at lovefoodthinkcook has a good overview of the basic frittata recipe here, but I'm the kind of girl that likes a fairly specific recipe, so I followed one by Jamie Oliver here, with a few tweaks that I'll put below.


1 small onion (I only tend to have white ones lying around so used that, original recipe says half a red one)
Fry light* or 1 teaspoon olive oil
150g fresh spinach
4 large eggs
75-100g crumbled feta cheese
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I have a cheap 30p shaker from Tesco. It works.)


1. Peel and finely slice the onion.

2. Preheat your grill to high**.

3. Pour enough oil into a small 7 to 8 inch ovenproof non-stick frying pan to very lightly coat the bottom (about 1 teaspoon) and put over a medium heat. If using fry light instead, a few sprays to coat the bottom of the pan works fine.

4. Add the onion and cook until just starting to brown. Add the spinach and toss for a minute or two to heat through, then remove from the heat and allow the vegetables to cool slightly.

5. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add in the cooled spinach and red onion, followed by the feta (I crumbled it into fairly large chunks) and a good pinch of pepper.

6. Put your pan back on a medium heat and pour in the eggs. Stir around gently with a spatula until you feel the egg start to set at the bottom, then straight away, turn the heat off so the frittata stays half cooked and quite runny.

7. Carefully place your frying pan under the grill for 2 to 3 minutes (this is what the recipe said, I needed 5 plus), or until the frittata is golden and cooked through (check the center with a fork.) Put a plate over the pan and turn over quickly but carefully – the frittata should come right out (I stupidly cut it up in the pan and scratched it... sob). Serve hot or cold.


* If you haven't heard of it, Fry light is basically sunflower oil in spray form. Each spray is only 1 calorie and I have yet to find something I can't fry in it. Makes the frying process a lot healthier - I love it and don't even own any vegetable oil at the moment (something that does occasionally stop me from making certain cakes)


** The original recipe doesn't say grill, it says broiler. I still have no firm idea what that is - I think it's basically an American word for what we Brits call a grill -  just some sort of top down heating doohicky. But don't quote me on that. The grill worked absolutely fine. I guess if you didn't have a grill, if you turned the heat down on the hob after a while then you would cook through...

No comments:

Post a Comment