Tuesday 27 March 2012

Birthday Extravaganza: Rum Truffles


Nan had a slight catastrophe with her fairy cakes because she forgot one of the eggs and they didn't rise very well (tasted lovely though!) so I took the opportunity to steal four of them and make some rum truffles using this recipe here. When I was younger, Mum used to buy a tray of rum truffles from our local shop. They were only mass market ones, in a red plastic wrapper, and... well, I loved them. I haven't had them for years and our spirits cupboard at home comprises of Jack Daniels (might be nice, but not the same)... this rum turned out to be 15 years old and belonged to my Great-Granddad. A nice family twist for Bamp's Birthday, and I can report that it aged very well...

Simple Cake Crumb Rum Truffles
I'll link back to the original when I can remember where I got it from!

5 oz chocolate cake crumb
1oz butter
1 oz cocoa
2 oz icing sugar
3 tablespoons Rum
2-3 Chocolate Flakes or Chocolate Vermicelli (sprinkles)


1. Crumble the cake into a bowl to remove any lumps
2. Sift in the cocoa powder and icing sugar (I didn't sift and it was okay, just mixed it very thoroughly)
3. Melt the butter and pour over the cake crumb mix
4. Mix lightly then add the rum and mix all together
5. Place some greaseproof paper onto a board or tray
6. Roll into balls and place on the greaseproof paper
7. Crumble the flakes into a bowl, if using, or fill a bowl with vermicelli
8. Roll the balls in a bowl full of flakes or vermicelli and then place on the
greaseproof paper
9. Refrigerate for 20 minutes minimum before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment